"Personal Information" is information about an identifiable individual or information that allows an individual to be identified. Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information, such as your name, title, business address, telephone/fax number or business e-mail address. We may also collect aggregated information about you which does not identify you and which is not considered to be personal information.
Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent to certain of the identified purposes at any time by contacting Caroline Jageman at the contact information set out below. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with certain services or certain features or functions.
The types of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, home address, home/mobile telephone number, personal e-mail address, other contact information, and the services your received. In some circumstances, we may ask for additional personal information such as details to create and secure an account, or to participate in a survey, or specific information in relation to a specific program or project.
Generally, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
· to provide you with legal services;
· to provide customer service;
· to respond to any questions or issues you may raise;
· to assess, audit, evaluate, measure and verify data and information, including to protect ourselves and other third parties against error, fraud, theft and other illegal activity;
· to develop, manage, update and verify our databases;
· to understand and respond to the needs and preferences of, and to communicate with, customers, potential customers and website visitors;
· to provide a better website user experience;
· to contact you about current and future services and products that may be of interest to you, and to assess your future needs;
· for record-keeping and archival purposes;
· for security purposes;
· as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
· for any other purpose to which you consent.
We may from time to time collect other Personal Information or use the information that we hold for other purposes. If we do so, we will notify you and, as appropriate, obtain your consent.
From time to time, we may disclose your Personal Information to:
· our employees, our professional advisers (including our accountants) and Our Service Providers, including an organization or individual retained by us to perform functions on our behalf, such as website hosting or data processing. At the moment, Jageman Law retains Cosmolex LLC to process and store data. Cosmolex’s servers are located in Canada. Jageman Law’s website is hosted by GoDaddy Inc. in the United States. Payments made by credit card to Jageman Law are processed through LawPay, AffiniPay Inc., also located in the United States. Where Personal Information is provided to a third party we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. Our Service Providers are not authorized by us to use or disclose Personal Information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. However, Service Providers located in the United States are subject to different privacy laws and obligations, and you acknowledge that they may be legally required to disclose information under their control pursuant to their laws;
· a person who, in our reasonable judgement, is providing or seeking information as your agent; and
· any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we use administrative, physical and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information to protect against unauthorized disclosure, use, alteration and destruction of the Personal Information in our possession. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. We require all of Our Service Providers and agents who collect or process Personal Information on our behalf to provide security safeguards equivalent to those maintained by us.
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations, on servers controlled by us or Our Service Providers and located in Canada, except in the case of credit card processing information handled by LawPay, Affinipay Inc..
We retain your information as long as it is required for the purposes identified when you provided the information or for any new purposes identified by us and consented to by you, and for any appropriate time thereafter including a sufficient time to permit you to ask any questions regarding its use. Certain information may be retained for longer periods for internal audit, regulatory or quality control purposes.
While every effort is made to ensure the security of your personal information, we do note that no method of transmitting and storing data is completely secure.
Cookies – When an individual visitor accesses our website, we may use a browser feature called a ‘cookie' to collect information such as the type of Internet browser and operating system the visitor uses, the domain name of the website from which the visitor came, date and duration of the visit, number of visits, average time spent on our website, pages viewed and number of cookies accumulated. A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that identifies the visitor's browser, but not necessarily the visitor, to our computers each time our website is visited. Unless a visitor specifically informs us, we will not know who the individual visitors are. This information is used to help us understand our website activity, and to monitor and improve the website.
Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question or obtaining information, and participating in contests and surveys. We may combine and use such Personal Information with other online and offline information we may have collected.
E-mail Communications – Occasionally, we may send marketing or promotional e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful. In this process, we may collect certain information such as the date/time you first opened our e-mail communications, the number of times you open our e-mail communications, the number of click-throughs per article, total click-through activity on the contents of our e-mail communications and compile generally the related statistics. We may combine and store any such information to manage and improve our e-mail communications to you. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional e-mails from us.
Links – Our website may contain links to the websites of other independent individuals and organizations which are provided as a convenience only. These websites are governed by separate privacy policies, which we recommend you review. We do not endorse, we take no responsibility for, nor do we make any representations as to such linked third-party websites and their content. If you choose to visit such linked third-party websites, you do so solely at your own risk.
We will, upon written request, provide you access to your personal information and an opportunity to request that we update or correct your personal information. Upon written request, you may review any of the information that we have on file about you and you may also learn how we have used it and to whom we have disclosed it. This right is subject to certain exemptions under law such as when the information is subject to legal privilege. If access to your personal information is denied, we will notify you in writing, give reasons for the denial, and inform you of the recourses open to you.
Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer using the contact information below.
2 Bloor St. E, Ste. 3500
Toronto ON M4W 1A8
Who can I contact for further information?
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices or your Personal Information that remain unresolved after contacting our Chief Privacy Officer, you may contact Canada's Information and Privacy Commissioner at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30, Victoria Street